Picadillo Recipe - Ground Beef Recipe

Check out my Instagram: lilYESENIA

When I made these jumbo sweet and savory treats I had them in mind because I saw a video of @YiaMedina, who is a Puerto Rican chef I follow, making them. 

They are called Piononos ("PIO-NO-NOS"). They also remind me of Pastelon, which have the same ingredients, but is layered and put together like a la-sag-na.

I made some picadillo and rice for dinner one night and had leftover picadillo for the next day. I also had some green plantains that I did not use for a few days, so they became yellow and ready to use as maduros (sweet plantains). 

You can definitely sub the ground beef for ground turkey, or ground chicken. anything your heart desires :). 

Picadillo (my version). Keep scrolling for Piononos recipe.

  • 1-2 pounds Ground Beef
  • 1 Yellow Onion 
  • Lots of Garlic
  • Peppers (Green, Yellow, Orange, or Red) Use one or two kinds.
  • 1-2 Carrots
  • 2 Potatoes
  • 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of Tomato Sauce (I used Classico)
  • 1/2 cup Water (more or less)

Spices:

  • Salt 
  • Black Pepper
  • Oregano
  • Cumin
  • Cinnamon (yes, cinnamon)

I don't know the measurements I use, sorry! 

will record a video soon 😊

To prepare:

  1. Lightly grease a pan and brown the ground meat. Once browned, discard the excess fat (liquid). 
  2. Create a circle in the middle of the pan where you will add all veggies, except the potatoes. Make sure the beef is surrounding the veggies. 
  3. Add the spices to the veggies in the middle and move them around until combined. Once the veggies soften, mix with the ground meat. 
  4. Add the tomato sauce and water and cook for about 30 mins. 
  5. Add diced potatoes towards the end of the 30 mins. Cover and leave until potatoes soften. 

Enjoy with white rice, make some Piononos or stuffed Tostones 😋.

Subscribe on YouTube for more!

To make Piononos you will need the

  • Picadillo recipe along with
  • 1 beaten egg and
  • Cheese, if you desire

  1. Cut the ends of the ripe yellow plantain and discard.
  2. Peel and slice lengthwise. You will be able to get about 3 to 4 strips from each plantain, if they are smaller, about 2. 
  3. Fry 3-4 strips at a time in your favorite oil (vegetable oil, coconut oil, sometimes I use peanut oil). Once they are golden brown on both sides, take them out and continue frying the rest until complete. 
  4. Set aside.

To assemble the Piononos, use a muffin pan (I used the Jumbo muffin pan)

  1. Since the plantains were cut lengthwise, you can use them to "line" each space and if the plantain is too long you can use it to cover the bottom of the pan. 
  2. Fill each one with the picadillo and press down. You can add cheese before the meat, too!
  3. Top each with some of the beaten egg and place in the oven for about 15-20 mins. 
  4. Optional, I added some Munster cheese and placed it back in the oven until cheese was bubbly & melted.
  5. Remove from oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes before you run a knife around the edges and scoop out with a fork. 

Enjoy! ⚡️

Thanks for your support

Comments